Thursday, March 14, 2019

macos - OSX: How can I clone a larger hard drive to a smaller one?

I'm replacing my spinning disk drive with a smaller SSD, because it should make my system much faster[1]. The data I have on the larger drive will fit on the smaller one.


So far, I've done the following:



  • Reboot OSX, holding Command + R, to boot into recovery mode

  • Use Disk Utility to erase and rename the new drive (plugged into USB with a USB-to-SATA adapter cable)

  • Try to restore the main hard drive to the SSD


I get an error like "not enough space on /dev/disk13s2", meaning, I think, "the destination drive is too small." ([asr -source /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD -target /Volumes/the_new_drive -erase -noprompt](http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_make_drive_clone) gives the exact same error.)


Suggestions I've read to fix this are:



  • Use some third-party, commercial software instead. I don't like this option because 1) I think it shouldn't be necessary and 2) I want to limit how many pieces of software and companies I trust with my data

  • Resize the partition on the source drive to be smaller than the destination drive. This scares me. I don't want to lose data. Is it safe?


To be clear: what I want is an exact clone, byte-for-byte. I don't want any changes to file modification times or permissions, etc. I don't want to reinstall stuff. I just want to boot to the new drive and have it work.


Also, I'm using FileVault on the old drive.


I'd love a solution that uses solely built-in Apple tools (like Disk Utility or asr) or something open source.


How can I clone my data from the larger drive onto the new, smaller drive?




[1] I've used iopending to see that pending disk operations are, in fact, slowing me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...