Sunday, March 17, 2019

64 bit - 64 bit operating system prerequisites?



Last night I want install Open Suse 11.3 64 bit edition to my new desktop computer. But my each attempt failed with general message "Error Occured". I think my computer may not be suitable for 64 bit system.



How can I learn suitability of my computer?


Answer



If there is an operating system currently installed (and working) on the computer, you can use it to tell whether your processor is 64-bit or not. The method depends on which OS it is. On Linux, go to a command prompt and run the command uname -m, and if it prints x86_64, you have a 64-bit processor. Anything else means you don't. On Windows, I don't remember offhand but probably if you right-click My Computer and choose Properties you may find it in there somewhere.




If you don't have a functioning OS, you can probably get that information from the BIOS. Again, it depends on which BIOS you have, but usually there will be a notice that appears immediately when the computer starts up that says "Press F2 for Setup" or something like that (sometimes it's a different key, like Delete). If you hit that and poke around a bit in the menu that appears, you may see something that identifies your processor as 64-bit or 32-bit.



Also, I would agree with what nhinkle said about checking the integrity of the ISO image and of the burned CD.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...