Tuesday, March 12, 2019

memory - Upgrading RAM - Motherboard support?



According to my motherboard manufacturer the max amount of RAM I can use is 8GB. Why am I limited to 8GB? I have only two slots but I know I can buy 2 8GB sticks to get to 16GB and I am running a 64bit processor. What is the hold up? Or put 16GB in it and it will work just fine?


Answer



The limiting factor seems to be chipset support. I couldn't find definite specs for Nvidia nForce 630a, however all other motherboards based on the same chipset support maximum 8GB as well. So, this seems to be a limiting factor in the chipset's memory controller.




Some manufacturers artificially limit the maximum specs of their lower-end chips in order to not cannibalize sales of the higher-end hardware. I'm not claiming that this is definitely the case here, just pointing out that the reason for this limitation is not necessarily technical.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...