Saturday, August 11, 2018

Windows 8 Open File dialog (metro apps) navigate quickly to specific folder

I've been using Windows 8 for about 4 months now and the more I use it the more frustrated I become. I'm not a technical newbie by any stretch, but I find many things about Windows 8 quite frustrating, considering everything in Windows 7 seemed so easy and intuitive for me.


This question is about the Open File dialog. That is, when I am in a program and I need to select a file, it uses the Windows 8 common dialog for selecting a file. Before, there was a text box where I could copy and past in a full path to quickly jump to any folder I wanted. Now, I do not see that option. So, since I have quite a deep and complex folder structure, it takes me a very, very long time to navigate to the folder I want. In the end, I usually drag the file I want to open to the desktop, open from there and when done move it back, which is far from nice.


Is there a way to quickly jump to a folder if I know the path (e.g., C:\Files\Some Stuff\MyData\Project 1\Sub Project 2\This folder)?


Edit: I should have been more clear. I'm talking about full-screen (Metro) apps like Chrome. With non-metro apps you get a standard open file dialog which works just like before but my concern is with the metro UI dialog which does not offer the user any way to enter a filename.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...