Sunday, August 12, 2018

How to install and run Windows XP operating system on an external hard drive or USB flash drive?

I know this question may be duplicated as follows:




but their 'answers' are neither answering the question, nor containing up-to-date materials.


So my question is:




  1. How to install Windows XP operating system on an external hard drive or USB flash drive?

    • Not to install Windows XP operating system from an external hard drive or USB flash drive.


  2. After the above step, how to boot/run Windows XP operating system from the external hard drive or USB flash drive?

    • Not to boot Windows XP installation setup from an external hard drive or USB flash drive.




The reason I ask so clearly is as follows:




  1. I successfully installed Windows 7 Ultimate operating system on an external hard drive by using WinToUSB Enterprise. I can boot it from the external hard drive and use it like normal.

  2. I also want to do the same thing with Windows XP like the above. But WinToUSB gave me an error: Cannot find bootable image.(0x000000C401510000) and there is no solution online.



Please help me with solution like the software I used, thanks!


Added (about the hack in the comment):


I have no confidence to install a modified Windows XP setup.


So I need volunteers to test it.




  1. Materials:

  2. Requirements:

    • An existing Windows install for carrying out the steps in this tutorial

    • A USB2-compliant Hard disk drive (or a big USB2 stick, see remarks below)

    • An original Windows XP CD (tested only against SP1 so far, but reported to work on other versions)

    • A registered version of WinISO (or any other software that allows direct editing of ISO files)

    • The Microsoft CAB SDK

    • A CD-burning software that can handle ISO files. I like the free burnatonce



No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...