Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Unknown symbol in an Excel spreadsheet cell


I use an Excel spreadsheet that I inherited as part of my job, and it has a feature that I'm curious about.


One of the data cells has a small right angle shape in the bottom-right corner, and I don't know what the symbol is meant to denote.


Here's a screenshot:


Some cells from an Excel spreadsheet


The symbol in question is in the rightmost column, second row from the bottom.


Answer



That looks like the mark of a "table" in Excel. If you click on that cell, does a "Table Tools" tab appear in Excel's ribbon? If so, it means that Excel is auto-formatting the area as a table.


You can turn this off by clicking "Convert to Range" in the Table Tools > Design tab that appeared, but this will eliminate any pretty formatting that Excel has set up (eg, no more row banding on new rows).


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...