Thursday, August 16, 2018

Install Windows 7 from Disk Partition


How can I boot the windows 7 installer from a partition on my disk? (like from an USB stick)


I'm having troubles installing Windows 7 from an USB drive (I need some legacy software) next to my Windows 10 on my PC.


The PC boots from the USB stick with no issue and the Windows 7 installer initializes successfully, however, when I try to install the Windows, I am getting this message back:
load driver windows 7 error


I tried installing the USB 3.0 drivers on the usb stick, tried different ports but no luck. As I don't have an optical unit in my PC, nor any USB 2.0, thinking that installing from the partition might be the easiest thing.


Answer



The reason the installation was failing and couldn’t get the usb 3.0 drivers installed was because of a faulty ISO I was trying to install after.


Going on microsoft website and downloading the ISO from there, adding the drivers to the stick as described in the other answer, solved my issue.


There was no need to install from a disk partition although it would have been interesting to know how to do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...