Wednesday, August 8, 2018

browser - How to disable Chrome background processes and updates?

Some time ago I installed Chrome (as I need to test my websites in it), but it launched uncontrollable background processes and updates, so I uninstalled it completely... Now I decided to install it again. This piece of software tries be idiot-friendly and is completely uncontrollable:



  1. Impossible to install English version, if your Windows are not English! I switched the language on the download website, I tried search the webpage for custom download, I tried to switch the language in the app also... no way. User is idiot, Chrome is clever again - it knows much better what language user wants.


  2. Impossible to switch off automatic updates! There's no setting in the Chrome setup. I found some hack way to do it using registers but it doesn't work any more. I only found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Update\ but the setting seems to have dissapeared.



Any solutions for these problems?


The only positive thing I found is that it still allows to disable the background processes it runs by default after you close the Chrome. (Just wonder when this setting will disappear, considering the ongoing virus-like policy trend in current software, with Chrome walking in the front...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...