Saturday, August 25, 2018

windows 7 - Extreme Kernel Paged Pool Memory Use (Win 7 64-bit)

I'm currently running Win 7 Pro 64-bit on a file server system with 12 hard drives. The drives are connected through 2x IBM M1015 controller cards (flashed to LSI 9211-8i IT mode firmware). I'm using the system as a media file server, and running FlexRAID to manage a snapshot-RAID array. Files are very large Blu-ray backups, MKV files, typically 25-35 GB in size.




When FlexRAID performs a data integrity check (called "Validate"), it reads from all data disks simultaneously and calculates each file's checksum. When I run this task, my Paged Pool memory use quickly rises until the virtual memory allocated is gone, at which point Windows expands the VM pool. This continues until the task finally completes, but during this time my system becomes very slow and unstable.



Process Explorer shows no process that is causing the leak. FlexRAID is using only 79K of memory. Using Poolmon, I've discovered that the MmSt tag is the culprit -- but this is Window's own memory manager. For an unknown reason, Windows is mapping the MKV files into virtual memory, causing the high usage. I'm not sure how to stop this.



I've tried the suggestions shown in KB312362 (written for MS Server 2003), but it didn't work. I've turned off MS Security Essentials and the Superfetch service, but also no improvement.



Is there a way for me to dig deeper into this, to see what the root cause could be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...