Monday, August 20, 2018

linux - Wodim can't open SCSI driver in Debian Jessie?

I'm attempting to write an ISO image to a CD on Debian Jessie. I have the CD in the drive, and it appears that all of the symbolic links are pointing where they should be, and the kernel recognized my CD-RW drive. (Which is connected via IDE by the way)




I installed Wodim from the official Debian repository. With either wodim --devices or wodim -scanbus I receive...



wodim: No such file or directory. 
Cannot open SCSI driver!
For possible targets try 'wodim --devices' or 'wodim -scanbus'.
For possible transport specifiers try 'wodim dev=help'.
For IDE/ATAPI devices configuration, see the file README.ATAPI.setup from
the wodim documentation.



Although I don't think it should make a difference, I'm doing this via remote SSH.



The error says specifically that I need to read README.ATAPI.setup. I would be more than happy to do that if I had any idea where that was. I did a Google search for that file, but only found questions on various forums about issues similar to mine. After finding this question I ran some test commands to see if I had the same problem.



lsmod | grep sr_mod yields...



sr_mod                 21568  0 
cdrom 46828 1 sr_mod
scsi_mod 164132 4 sg,libata,sd_mod,sr_mod



lsmod | grep sg yields...



sg                     25573  0 
scsi_mod 164132 4 sg,libata,sd_mod,sr_mod


ls -l /dev/sr0 yields...




brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Mar 12 17:20 /dev/sr0


That article mentioned that /dev/cdrom should link to /dev/sr0. Results of ls -l /dev/cdrom are...



lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Mar 12 17:20 /dev/cdrom -> sr0


Running any of these commands as root with sudo, or with a root shell do not affect the outcomes of any of these commands. Furthermore telling Wodim what device to use with wodim dev=/dev/sr0 --scanbus yields the same results as not declaring the shell variable.




What's the issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...