Sunday, June 18, 2017

windows - Why does my computer run fast after a clean install?


I recently formatted and reinstalled Windows on my laptop. It now runs much faster.
I have been doing this about once a year for the past decade. Why is this needed?


I always figured this had to do with installing and removing programs, which over time fill up the registry with junk. Is this true? Are there any programs that can tweak the system without reformatting?


Answer



The registry is a bit of a misconception, The way it works, it could be filled with junk but it shouldn't slow down your machine - imagine, all roads are linked, but just because there is a traffic jam somewhere doesn't always mean it will affect you somewhere completely different!


It is pretty much just software that starts with your computer, updaters and bad drivers.


You can greatly speed up your computer using Microsoft / Sysinternals AutoRuns and delete/disable enries you do not want to start up with your machine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...