Monday, June 12, 2017

windows 7 - SSD and Backing up data


I'm brand new to the world of SSD. I set up TRIM and turned off the various windows 7 hibernation and defrag options, so i think i'm optimized.


Since i've read that the life of a SSD can be questionable, how should I approach backing up data? I'm using 3 hard drives - main SSD - media drive - aux drive with pictures and pagefile. I have been using fbackup previously, but i'm wondering what the best practice is with SSD's for bac


Answer



SSDs usually fails rather gracefully as far as I am concerned, and most of the time you want programs and system installed on the SSD and data put on other drives. Thus if you are sticking to the principles, you should not have a need to backup the SSD other than as a tool for OS recovery. And for that you can use windows 7 backup utility & create a disc to make an image of the SSD.


For other backup tools, you can either consider cloud-based backup (like what amazon offer) or the more traditional one. Remember, two sites, two copies, two type of media.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...