Saturday, June 17, 2017

partitioning - Can I reinstall Windows 10 after upgrading from OEM Windows 7?

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. It came with Windows 7 preinstalled, and I upgraded it to Windows 10. A little while after I was wanting to use Ubuntu, so I attempted to install it. I figured out that there were already 4 primary partitions on the hard drive. There was the the two ntfs partitions Windows uses, a third ntfs partition called recovery, and a fat32 partition called hp_tools. I deleted the recovery and fat32 partition. When I attempted to boot Windows 10 after the partitions were deleted, it failed to boot. It stopped a little while into the part with the spinning circle. The error code read: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE. It automatically restarted, and came up with the recovery and repair menu. I tried clicking reset, but it said the drive was locked. None of the other options worked either. I foolishly didn't back up the computer before messing with the partitions, so the only thing I could think of to do was reinstall Windows 10. I used my desktop to create a bootable Windows 10 installation flash drive. I am not sure if I should format the hard drive and attempt to do that, or what. The only activation key I have is the old Windows 7 one on the sticker on the bottom. Any ideas of what I should do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...