Wednesday, June 28, 2017

partitioning - Windows 7 system left in unusable state after moving system partition



I tried doing some PC maintenance on my home computer last night, and hosed it up.



A couple years ago i installed a 120GB SSD in my PC. I partitioned it into two equal partitions, the first being my system drive for Windows Server 2008 R2 and the second my Windows 7 system drive.



However, I soon decided that I did not have enough usable space, so I went back to using a HDD as the system drive for my 2008 machine, and continued using the 2nd partition of my SSD as the system drive for my Win 7 install.



I finally decided that I wanted to expand the Win7 partition to use the whole drive.




Since expanding a partition to the "left" is not possible from the Windows disk maangement tool i used GParted to copy the 2nd partition onto the first, then deleted the 2nd partition.



I then I had to use my win7 installation disc to repair windows startup.



Unfortunately, now Win7 boots in an unusable state.



It boots to the login screen ok, but after I authenticate explorer fails to launch leaving me with a blank blue background. If I try to run explorer.exe from task manager i get an error.



Can I recover from this without reinstalling Windows?



Answer



I ended up reinstalling Windows. Of course, I copied my data to a different drive first.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...