Friday, June 9, 2017

Program (RackAFX) won't open in clean installs of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1


I have a fresh install of Windows 8.1. I installed a program 'RackAFX' but it just won't start. I double click the icon and nothing happens.


I have already installed BOTH the x86 and x64 re-distributables, as mentioned on the RackAFX download page.


Once or twice, Windows reported that 'RackAFX has stopped working' and gave some error codes shown in the following screenshots:


http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd427/Dave_Chambers/64Error_zps2f61e3bd.png
enter image description here


I tried all possible 'compatibility' options too and running as administrator but it still won't open. Now Windows doesn't even give the 'RackAFX has stopped working'. A double click results in a spinning circle near the mouse and then nothing.


Anyway, trying to debug I installed RackAFX on both my wife's Windows 8.1 machine and my old clogged up Windows 7 partition (on the same machine as the problematic partition) and it works no problem. I also tried updating Windows 8.1 on the new partition but it still doesn't work.


I then also added another Windows 7 partition to my new hard drive and installed RackAFX but same thing - it won't open.


Not sure if this helps but this SO post describes how to find the LOC related to 'Exception Offset':


https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2528776/windows-c-is-it-possible-to-find-the-line-of-code-where-exception-was-thrown


So, in summary, RackAFX won't open on a freshly installed Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.


Answer



The problem was that the driver for my soundcard hadn't yet been installed and so no default in/out device was selected. This caused the program to crash. Installing the driver and choosing an in/out resolved the issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...