Friday, June 16, 2017

Getting new memory for my computer - any gotchas?



I recently upgraded by computer from WinXP to Win7 x64, and now I want to take advantage of the fact that I can use more memory.




The cheapest memory is from online stores - but I'm a little nervous about buying something that isn't compatible with my computer.



According to Speccy, my current memory is 2x2GB DDR2, PC2-6400 (400Mhz), and I have another 2 empty slots. I found lots of different brands and specs of other memory modules online, but none identical to mine. Can I buy any other DDR2 memory modules, or are there any other gotchas out there I have to beware of?


Answer



With CPU-Z, you can get detail info on each of your memory chip. In general, you just need to make sure that the new memory is same type (DDR2) and speed (PC2-6400 400Mhz) as your old ones. Chip rated faster will generally work, but the limiting factor will be the slowest stick of RAM.



Lastly, you might want to consider spending a extra couple of bucks and getting one with support & warranty. I once had a OCZ that wasn't compatible with my DELL due to some weird chip timing issue. I was able to send it back and get it updated.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...