Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Linux $PATH variables, soft links, and Command Not Found

I am having problems with symbolic links and the $PATH variable.


I have a directory:


# /usr/rulerX/square

where /usr/rulerX/square is a symbolic link such that:


# ls -la
square --> square.hg.current

My path variable is set as:


# echo $PATH
/usr/rulerX/square/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin

I have a file, runSquare, under /usr/rulerX/square.hg.current/bin/


Here's the problem:


# runSquare
runSquare: Command Not Found

What gives? If I set /usr/rulerX/square.hg.current/bin to the PATH; everything works fine. However, if I have the symbolic link (just 'square'), it can't find the file.



  • I am using CentOS with csh

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...