Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Is it safe to add the third wire on Dell Laptop charger to an external battery?


I wired an old secondhand Dell charger (that was making a funny noise when charging), to the laptop 19v output of a RocketSocket charger. It works great, but there's one problem... it shows charging, the battery doesn't go down, but it doesn't actually charge the laptop battery, and when I start up the computer it gives that infamous adapter not recognized message.


Now, I suppose I could cut open the charger and wire the chip to the third wire, but I think that may be a bad idea because according the the instruction sheet, the RocketSocket outputs 12/16/19V - 2/3.5/3.5A output. The secondhand Dell charger shows output 19.5v 4.62A. Do I risk overheating or damaging the RocketSocket laptop charger or the Dell by faking a more powerful adapter's chip? Or can I reprogram the third wire's chip to set the correct expected amperage?


Answer



As I understand the specs for "Rocket Socket" charger, it can do 12V with 3.5 A, but at 19V it can do only 2 A.


So yes, if you attach the Dallas ID chip from Dell 19V 4.62A adapter to the center wire, the laptop will think that it has the PA-10 power adapter, and will try to suck up to 4.62 A, thus overloading the "Rocket-Socket" by more than twice. The likely effect will be either the voltage will drop below 10V, or it will smoke out. The advice - don't do this, or get a more powerful power supply.


But again, why go for such a trouble if the original DELL 90W 19V/4.62A adapters are well under $10 even on Amazon?


Regarding programming or emulaing the ID chip, there were some attempts to do so. But again, does the trouble worth it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...