Tuesday, June 20, 2017

hardware failure - Keyboard suddenly starts to randomly skip letters


I have an Asus (K52Jr) laptop for almost 4 years now. I'm working from home for almost 3 years so I use the laptop extensively.


I never had a problem with the keyboard, but, suddenly yesterday it started skipping random letters. It seems improbable for me to be because of dust or something like that because it wasn't a process in which letter by letter the keys stopped working, instead it affects all the keys all of the sudden. For about 2 hours last night it worked well again, but this morning started acting strange again.


So, today I removed my keyboard and cleaned it thoroughly. It didn't help. It still skips letters. And I noticed something else today, also. If I keep a key pressed from time to time, while repeating the key, it stops a little, like I would lift my finger up and push the key again.


I can't understand what's going on. Could it be something with the data cable? When I cleaned the keyboard today I plugged out the data cable also (in case something wasn't plugged in correctly).


I also booted in Safe Mode, to see if it's a software problem, but the same issue occurred in safe mode also (even in the "Repair mode with command prompt")


Answer



I found out the problem. It wasn't the keyboard at all.


The battery I was using on my laptop started failing slowly a few months back, and it seems yesterday it was its last day (because Windows stared telling me that there is no battery detected even if the battery was plugged in).


I unplugged the battery and everything works fine now. Strange? Yeah. But it works :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...