Monday, June 19, 2017

laptop - Selecting proper wattage in Universal power adapter

My AC adapter died and I went to BestBuy to purchase a replacement. The Geeksquad suggested to choose a lower watt capacity instead of a higher watt capacity. I was convinced of the opposite and anyway, my Dell XRS13 adapter was 45w producing 19.5v at 2.31 A.
The new Universal AC adapter is 65w producing (among various ranges) 19.5v at 3.33A. I simplistically figure that drawing 19.5 volts with higher amperage may heat-up the system or the laptop will only draw what it needs?
A 90 watt adapter would have produced the same voltage at 4.6A
Any chance it might damage my laptop by using higher amperage?
I noticed a previous post:



  1. A power supply doesn't "push" power. It provides. Just because it can provide more, doesn't mean the connected devices actually uses it. It's simple, really: I = U / R. The only thing that does matter is the output voltage. – Daniel B Mar 14 '14 at 12:03

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...