Sunday, November 24, 2019

SFC does not work neither windows update and system reset return an error


TL;DR:
sfc does not run even in offline mode, Windows update can't install updates, dism reports no error, Windows is unable to do a reset. What can I do fix this problem?




I first noticed the problem when windows warned me that it could not install an update. I tried to run SFC but it returned the following:



Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.



I tried to start / restart trustedinstaller service with net start trustedinstaller but it was already running. Tried everything I could find to fix this problem but I could not find one solution that worked. Finally I tried to do a fresh install of windows by going to the advanced settings and reset, but neither the "keep my files" nor the "remove everything " worked as they failed to start saying that there was an error and no changes made.


I have even tried to use sfc offline from a bootable windows installer, but the error remain the same. DISM returns no error.


Is there anything I can do to fix this?


Answer



The solution was to use a bootable windows installer (USB in my case) to do a format and install a clean version


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...