Wednesday, November 27, 2019

windows - Remap Lock key on Thinkpad Edge E531

My Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E531 (running Windows 7) has a few unneeded media keys above the numpad (Calculator, Lock computer, Web browser and Explorer) that I would like to remap to something more useful to me, namely Home, End, PgUp and PgDown. I've managed to remap three of the keys with common keymapping tools like KeyTweak and SharpKeys, but the Lock key eludes me.


The problem, as far as I can see, is that the Lock key isn't sending a single key code. It's instead pressing both the L and Windows keys at the same time, which is the key combo for locking Windows. Neither of the keycode mapping programs I've tried can handle this, and I can't seem to find a way to disable the key combo. Not that disabling it really matters, I can't remap the Windows key or the L key, since they are both rather useful for using a computer.


Is there any way for me to get the Lock key on my keyboard mapped to End?


Edit: I found a program called KeyCodes that registers all keyboard input. When I press the Lock key, I get a LWin KeyDown, and if I then release it I get an L KeyUp and an LWin KeyUp and the computer then locks itself. The key does not seem to generate any extraneous keycodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...