Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Light and efficient file encryption for Ubuntu.


I'm using ubuntu 9.10. The system is installed on one partition, and my /home folder is on another partiton. I'm looking for a way to encrypt both partitions in Ubuntu 9.10, I'm NOT looking for encryption of specific files.


I know that truecrypt does that, and that Ubuntu offers some sort of home folder encryption. I'm here because I have no idea of what works best. What are my options? Which one is light on system resources (I'm running a netbook)?


I'm dualbooting with vista, and I'd rather not have to encrypt the vista partition (yes, I know I'd still have to type the password for grub to load).


Thanks in advance.


EDIT: I misstyped the question initially. I want to encrypt the entire /home partition, NOT just specific files.


FINAL: I decided to go with this method. It's working well so far, and providing whole partiton encryption with no hassle.


Answer



I would suggest you make life slightly easier by encrypting your home directories rather than home partition, and ecryptfs would be the best tool to do this.


If you do wish to encrypt your entire home partition, this article shows how to dot using LUKS, DM-Crypt and cryptsetup. I can't vouch for the performance, but from what I've seen of most Linux solutions, they are quite usable even on older machines.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...