Thursday, November 28, 2019

Raid Mirror potential issue

I found a SSD drive at work so i took it home to test it. The only machine i had that i could easily use was my NAS server. I have a 4TB mirror'd Raid 1 in it. I unplugged one of the drives and plugged in the SSD i found. Turns out the drive didn't work. So i plugged back in the 4TB drive and windows recognized it as a independant HD. I was afraid to delete the drive in disk manager and am now wondering if the raid array has been lost. I have over 2.5TB of data on the raid so i really would hate to lose it. Thoughts? The raid 1 was created using windows.


The data has not been lost on the first drive. All my data is in tact. However, the redundant drive now has partial folders from the primary drive. And windows now see's it as a independent drive. The purpose of a raid 1 is so that if 1 drive fails, you can plug in a new hard drive and the raid 1 will automatically transfer the data to the new drive. But in my case i did not have a drive failure. I just unplugged one of the drives and plugged in a test SSD. upon plugging back in the first drive, windows decided to see it as an independent drive and assigned it its own drive letter. Before i did this my raid 1 set showed as drive D: not drive D: and E:

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...