Wednesday, November 27, 2019

How to block outgoing packets to Google DNS Servers on dlink router?

I have a dlink DIR 600L, and now I want to configure my router firewall to block outgoing packets to Google DNS Servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) for TCP/UDP and port 53 (DNS), this is so that I can use Chromecast to watch Netflix outside US.


You only need to put two rules on your router firewall to block outgoing packets to Google DNS Servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) for TCP/UDP and port 53 (DNS). This way, Chromecast will get a timeout trying to reach Google DNS Servers and will fallback to your router defined DNS servers and your Netflix or Hulu will work again!


In other words, this is what I aim to do:



What I need is a router capable of filtering outgoing connections, and
every router I have seen can do this as part of the built-in firewall
without need of flashing an alternate firmware that supports iptables
(such as openwrt).



Please note that I am not looking for solution such as routing the DNS request to a bogus gateway, that solution requires the knowledge of the IP address ( 192.168.x.x), which for the sake of this question, is unknowable.


Any idea how I can do this? If dlink router can't handle this, please suggest a consumer grade router( such as tp link, ASUS, Netgear etc, but no dd-wrt or tomato firmware router) that can do this. Please note that I am not looking at the iptables solution.


Resources:



  1. You can find a dlink emulator here. Username: Admin, password: blank

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...