Tuesday, November 19, 2019

If I plug a hibernated hard-drive to another laptop, what will happen to the hibernated hard-drive?


This is nothing too tech-savvy like mounting...


If I do these things:



  1. Put my laptop into "hibernate" state instead of shutting it down

  2. Open the back of the laptop (I mean something like this)

  3. Pull out the hard-drive from the back

  4. Put the hard-drive into an external hard-drive casing, something like this:
    enter image description here

  5. Plug the hard-drive into another laptop via USB, just like plugging in USB hard-drive. Like this:
    enter image description here


What would happen to the hibernated hard-drive?



  • Would this procedure damage the hard-drive in any way (since it is still "hibernate" state)?

  • Would the laptop (another laptop) read the data inside the hard-drive?

  • Would it be safe to use the hard-drive as an external hard-drive in the long run (in case the original laptop is broken)?


I hope I lay out my question/explanation clear, since English is not my mother tounge. Thank you in advance!


Answer



No damage would occur; the hibernated drive would be perfectly readable, and safe to use for however long you like.


Deleting the hibernation state file (\hiberfil.sys on a Windows drive) would make it impossible to restore from hibernation if you ever put the drive back in its original laptop; you'd have to boot up like any other time you start up the machine from power off. That's the worst you can do to it, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...