Thursday, October 31, 2019

path - Git in Visual Studio 2013 stops working abruptly


Yesterday, I went home with Git working perfectly well inside Visual Studio 2013. I could 'Compare with unmodified' for a source file, I would see the version control status of my source files, and all the goodies of Git inside Visual Studio. I shut down my computer when I left work yesterday.


However, when I came to work this morning, as soon as I launched VS, I got this strange message from Git Version control saying,


'Path 'C:\' doesn't point at a valid Git repository or workdir.'

I proceeded to opening my project which is under Git version control, and strangely, Git did not recognize my project - None of the source files seemed to be added to version control, all the options such as to compare with unmodified version of a file were missing, it was as though the project was never under Git version control.


So, I did a system restore, and that got things working again. Now, when I launch Visual Studio, I get the following message from Git Version control


Opening repository: C:\Workspace\Dev\

This path is the path for where my source code is situated.


Can you please think of what could be messing up Git-Visual Studio integration so abruptly?


P.S. I am on VS 2013, so I did not install any external Git extensions, I am using the one that comes with VS 2013. This exact same problem has happened twice now. On both occsassions, I had to do a system restore to get things working back again.


Answer



Go to Team Explorer, then Connect to Team projects, choose anyone of the projects, and restart VS


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...