Monday, October 28, 2019

usb - Windows 7 64 Bit does not list external hard drive in Windows Explorer; shows as not initialized in Computer Management


My USB-connected external hard drive/enclosure is not being recognized in Windows Explorer.
A few important details:



  1. I just build a new machine from components for the first time. Other USB related functions seem to be working fine, though

  2. The hard drive, enclosure, and USB cable all work fine and read my disk appropriately on my old machine

  3. Under Computer Management, the disk shows up, as "Not Initialized". It seems to act like it's not even formatted

  4. A generic hard drive does get listed under "Safely Remove Hardware"

  5. I looked and found a driver for my enclosure, but that didn't make a difference.


I read in one forum that initializing doesn't format the drive, so that makes me think that perhaps I could just run the initialize routine under Computer Management. But I certainly don't want to mess it up!


What is the problem and how do I fix it?


Answer



To initialize it, you'll lose all the data on it then. Do you want it to be used by both OSes? Format as FAT32 on the Mac. Otherwise, NTFS for Windows NT or 2000 or later. It will be readable natively on the Mac, but can't be written to without extra software/hacks


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...