Wednesday, September 18, 2019

ddr3 - Added 2BG of RAM to my laptop’s 8GB but Windows 10 (64bit) only sees 8GB and does not see the full 10GB as physical memory

I installed 2GB of RAM into my new laptop (Acer Aspire E5-571-5688), which used to be in my old broken laptop. This would make my total RAM into 10GB (1x8GB + 1x2GB). My problem is that Windows 10 (64-bit) install doesn’t seem to recognize or use my new RAM.


I ran a memory diagnostic test and I’ve checked with CPU-Z. CPU-Z gave me a result saying there is 10GB, however Windows doesn’t. I entered systeminfo into the elevated cmd, this gave me the result saying I have 10GB of virtual memory, 8GB of physical memory of which 5.671MB is available. It also says Virtual memory in use: 2.478MB.


The 2GB of RAM I’ve installed isn’t the same brand as the 8GB of RAM, but according to some forums that didn't make any difference.


According to CPU-Z the 8GB RAM max running speed is at 800MHz, as is the current NB Frequency. The 2GB SoDIMM is running at 667MHz. Would it maybe help to change the RAM speed to 1333 or should it still stay 1600 (as I assume it is now).


Sorry I couldn’t include screenshots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...