Thursday, September 26, 2019

Computer will not boot from its HDD and will not boot from USB

A friend gave me his computer to repair. It does not boot at all. When we try to boot from the hard disk, safe mode is not an option as it seems it cannot detect windows. I suspect the HDD is wiped or corrupt.


Trying to boot from USB wont help either. No error is returned. Just a blinking cursor. Trying the same USB on a netbook yields the normal results so the USB stick is fine.


Trying to boot directly from the internal HDD I get this message:



Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.0.9(05/08/09)
Check cable connection!
PXE-MOF:Existing Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Other then that I get no more text.




When I go into bios I see everything. The HDD is a Toshiba mk5065gsx.
The usb I am trying to boot off is a lacie iamakey. All the details are there.


The lacie iamakey was preloaded with Ubuntu 11.04 and windows 7 separately. None were detected by the computer both were detected by my net book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...