Sunday, September 29, 2019

python - How to access environment variable values?



I set an environment variable that I want to access in my Python application. How do I get this value?



Answer



Environment variables are accessed through os.environ



import os
print(os.environ['HOME'])


Or you can see a list of all the environment variables using:



os.environ



As sometimes you might need to see a complete list!



# using get will return `None` if a key is not present rather than raise a `KeyError`
print(os.environ.get('KEY_THAT_MIGHT_EXIST'))

# os.getenv is equivalent, and can also give a default value instead of `None`
print(os.getenv('KEY_THAT_MIGHT_EXIST', default_value))



Python default installation on Windows is C:\Python. If you want to find out while running python you can do:



import sys
print(sys.prefix)

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...