Saturday, September 21, 2019

macos - My computer isn't loading my massive Excel file…are there any tricks?


I have an 11,000 row Excel file (in Japanese) that I have saved as an xlsx file. I need it to be saved in UTF-8 format, so I went in and tested a few rows in OpenOffice (the reason for this apparent redundancy is to preserve formatting that OpenOffice leaves out) and then saved it as a CSV file and then specified it as UTF-8 in the save-as option, and the conversion worked perfectly! For a couple rows.


Now that I am trying to do the same thing for my full sized document, I can't get anything to come up. I'm running it on a current version 13" MacBook Pro with 4gbs of RAM, and it just won't go, it just freezes.


Are there any tricks that I can use to get this file loaded? Or my excel file to save in UTF-8?


Thanks


Answer



Excel and Calc are both known to "freeze" but really just be doing something very slowly.


A little hacking might be necessary to get some of these lower level options up to snuff with UTF-8, but there are options


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...