Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Windows Update Error 490

I'm having some issues installing windows update on this particular Windows 7 PC. I'm trying to (for instance) install Service Pack 1, and its popping up an error saying "Element Not Found", and then marking it as failed with Error Code 490 : "Encountered an Unknown Error" (very useful).


This happens to pretty much all windows updates I've been trying to install.


So far, things I've tried:


Virus Scan



  • Virus Scan

  • Error Scan

  • Running two different Microsoft 'ifixit' related to windows update

  • Running it in safe mode

  • Running the SP1 preperation tool

  • Downloading SP 1 manually and running that

  • Restarting

  • Force shutting it down, taking out the battery and turning it on again


This problem has been ongoing for months now.


Looking at the System logs I do see a lot of errors but they aren't giving any useful information "Not avaliable"


So far nothing has worked, anything else I could try? I can't format the PC unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...